Tuesday, April 7, 2009

View From Behind the Bar...

by Michael Oder, host of the 12th Street Sports Bar
Photo Credit: Michael Oder, Sr. (my Dad)

I walked in to the Fox Sports Grill in the Galleria in Houston, Texas and was immediately impressed. A giant box truss loaded down with lights and wires sat over the bar closest to the front door. Even though we're used to coming in to a lit studio back at home, the lights seemed blinding. A buzz of excitement filled the air.

Kevin turned to me and said," This feels real." He was right. This felt like a real television show. I had a moment like that when we first started showing nationally. Quickly we fell into our places around the bar.


I walk around the bar and go behind, completely oblivious to the fact that every bartender in the place was giving me a strange look. After I introduced myself and explained I was the host and just play a bartender, they seemed to be alright with it. Audrey and Flash (yes, that's what he told us his name was) were the bartenders on our side and took care of us.

Overall, it was one of the smoothest shows we've ever taped. Everyone involved was pleased with the look and the operation. James, the general manager of the Fox Sports Grill, and his entire crew were very accommodating of the entire production staff, crew and cast.

I can't wait to go back down there. I had a lot of fun.

And that's all this week from behind the (real) bar...

No comments: